Wednesday 21 August 2013

As Time Goes By

Every morning my 8am iPhone alarm song tells me "You must remember this" and sometimes I think "why? Why must I remember?" I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone what I am supposed to do today. And I hate anyone telling me what to do. But when that 8am alarm goes off, I know I'm supposed to take my morning meds. And I usually remember to do so. Even if I have put the alarm on pause two, three, four or even more times.

For the last goodness-knows-how-many days, each morning I have thought I must write a blog post. But I hate even me telling me what to do. So I don't. I have thought up lots of posts, things I wanted to say, or titles I like even if I don't know what the post will be about. And then I don't write them. And they're gone. I can't remember what I was going to say.

But not today. Today I am going to write. Today I have the title and I have the post. And this is it. Time has gone by and continues to do so. Sometimes painfully. A very dear friend of mine buried his partner yesterday. Or rather there was a funeral followed by a private short service at a crematorium. It was an inspiring event. The church was packed. Overflowing with love and respect both for the man who was gone and his partner who remained, bearing the unbearable with fortitude. There were readings, reminiscences, songs. And tears. There are always tears.

Everyone remembered good things about the great man who has died so suddenly, too young. And remembering brought laughter, smiles and heartache. I hope I will have what my dear friend had. A partner who is talented, loved, and respected. If the world will always welcome lovers, so will I. I just hope one of them is mine! As Time Goes By

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not be rude or disrespectful.
If you know who I am, just refer to me as Toots.
You do not have to complete a URL (website address) to post a comment. Choose a profile - just your name or Anonymous is fine. I look forward to reading what you have to say.