Wednesday 20 June 2012

It's no joke

For a really long time I have tended to identify myself by my job - I'm an actor. I usually say 'actor' rather than 'actress' possibly wary of dodgy jokes about the actress and the bishop or because I'm from a medical family and all too aware that you don't say 'doctress' - my mum was a doctor.

After 'are you famous?' (to which I'd like to respond 'do you know me because if you don't I'm not famous' - I'd like to but sometimes that would just be rude), one of the most common questions I get asked is ' how do you remember your lines?'. I used to be really good at learning lines. Rehearse a scene once and I would quickly know not just my lines but every other character's. Now, with my scrambled eggs and failing short term memory, it is incredibly hard for me to learn lines. 

I still do it because that is a big part of my job. But the other day, at the end of a rehearsal, my director said 'And Toots, learn your lines.' I responded, 'I have learnt my lines'. She said 'Well learn them better.'

It was a fair comment but a bit like being told 'Act better'. I know I am not doing my job as well as I should or as well as I did. I will be filming on Sunday and haven't learnt my script yet. I am performing tomorrow evening and still need to 'learn my lines better'. This morning, I had a casting and am not convinced I had entirely learnt the two scene script, an essential component in screen auditions.

When I was going through a really tough time, not long after dx, I wondered what would happen if I could no longer do my job. Would I lose my identity entirely? I've always said if you can see yourself being happy doing anything other than being an actor, then go and do that instead.. When you are working, it is the best job in the world but also one of the hardest. You never know what is going to happen - where, when or what your next job will be. I don't even know if I will be physically or mentally capable of doing the next job, whatever it is.

Just at the moment I am insanely busy. I know I am doing too much. I know I am possibly not doing things as well as I should. I am heartened by positive feedback and good reviews but as my character draws on in 'Quiz Night at the Britannia', "you can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time". See, I do know some of my lines but it's no joke.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not be rude or disrespectful.
If you know who I am, just refer to me as Toots.
You do not have to complete a URL (website address) to post a comment. Choose a profile - just your name or Anonymous is fine. I look forward to reading what you have to say.